Thursday, June 16, 2011

Turkey Bacon Bolillo

Some time ago, I went to a cooking class, where I made an excellent pan seared turkey breast with spinach and bacon sauce.  I modified that recipe a little for today's sandwich.  I didn't have spinach, and I was planning on grilling the turkey tenderloins, but the grill is out of gas and the kiddos and I were hungry!  So I gathered up what I had...



and began by putting the garlic head in foil with a little olive oil and roasting it for 45 minutes at 425 degrees.  It sounds like a long time, but it really isn't if you throw it in first thing.  Then I cooked the bacon in my searing pan.  The secret to good, perfectly crisp bacon is to cook it on medium heat.  It takes a little time, but prevents burning it to blackened briquettes.    While the bacon was draining on a paper towel covered plate, I patted the turkey tenderloins dry and seared them in the bacon grease until they were nicely browned and put them in the oven to cook.  I removed the garlic, which by now was nice and soft, and peeled it and pressed it into a couple of tablespoons of butter.  Then I drained the grease from the pan and added a cup of chicken broth and a little milk to it and reduced that until it was nice and soupy.  I added some of the bacon all crumbled up and slowly stirred in the garlic butter until I had a delightful sauce.

Out of the oven came the turkey, which I sliced lengthwise, as such...



All that was left to do was build the sandwich, which I did on a whole wheat bolillo (pronounced bowl-ee-oh).  We found these a while back, and they have quickly become my favorite bread.  Lettuce on the bottom, turkey, provolone, bacon and sauce, and...ViolaThe Turkey Bacon Bolillo!






The whole sandwich is quite savory, and not at all healthy.  Well, maybe the turkey and the lettuce... and I get a few points for the whole wheat bolillo.  But the sauce is pure artery choker, and should be used very occasionally.  It is so tasty though, and makes an excellent spread on toast if there is leftovers.  This sandwich requires a bit of time to prepare, but will be a smash hit.  Even the kiddos cleaned their plates.

No comments:

Post a Comment