Monday, June 13, 2011

Lime Grilled Chicken BLT

Today I wanted something filling, but not too heavy.  The Wife suggested a Chicken sandwich of some sort, and I was thinking maybe a BLT.  So we combined our ideas and came up with this...



Lime Grilled Chicken BLT on a multigrain Cibatta roll with Guacamole spread.
After my father had his heart attack, our whole family changed eating habits a bit.  So in gathering the fixins' for this sandwich, I chose low sodium turkey bacon, and low sodium Provolone cheese.  The guacamole has avacado, lime and garlic in it.  It really enhances the fresh flavor of the sandwich more than plain mayo would.



I am certain that this sandwich would be even more phenomenal with smoked maple pork bacon instead of the turkey bacon, but for a little healthier alternative the turkey wasn't bad!  I also used pre-grilled chicken, because we don't have a grill yet. When we do get our grill, I'm going to make this again, and marinade the chicken in a lemon/lime and garlic mixture.  Fresh chicken breasts will have less sodium than the frozen as well.  Another bonus.  This sandwich as prepared scored just above 700 mg of sodium.  Mostly from the frozen chicken, and surprisingly, the cibatta.  Replace the frozen chicken with fresh, and the sodium drops to around 500mg.  Calorie-wise, it came in at 450 Calories!  Low enough for calorie counters to enjoy and have a tasty sandwich!

As for taste, in this configuration it was quite good.  It had a good, fresh flavor, especially with the guacamole spread.  It also did not sit heavy in my gut after the meal.  I felt like after an hour or so, I could go for a swim or bike or run without fear of seeing the meal again.  But it was filling and kept me satisfied until supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment