Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Boyo's Frueat Burger

From the creative genius that is my seven year old boy comes this next one.  I asked him what he wanted for dinner tonight, and he raced to his chalkboard with a very stern warning not to look until he had finished.  After about ten minutes, he stepped away to reveal this...


I asked him a few questions.  Like, do the pear and apple slices go on the burger?

Yes.  Yes they do.

And the cheese?  Is that a slice on top?

No.  The cheese should be IN the burger.

Like a burger wrapped piece of cheese?

No.  Like all through the burger.

Seriously?  This is what you want for dinner?

YES!

So I went about making it.  I mixed about a cup of shredded cheddar into a pound of beef, along with a single slice of bread crumbled into fine crumbs.  I fashioned the meat mixture into patties with my freshlly and thouroughly washed hands.  Those went onto the grill while I sliced up the apple and the pear... The patties, not my hands.

Hey Boyo, do the slices go on the burger fresh or should I grill them?

GRILL 'EM!!!

I left the burgers on 5 minutes on medium high heat, then turned them and slid the fruit next to them for another 5 minutes.  The cheddar melted nicely and oozed slowly from the patty while the fruit warmed and browned.

Then I asked him one more time if he was sure he wanted to eat it.  After another excited affirmative, I put it all together for him.  Behold, the very first
 Boyo's Frueat Burger!
( It's dilishis!)


He wanted ketchup and mustard on it as well.  I admit, I cringed a little as I topped it and served it to him.  Then I made one for myself, too.

First bite - the warm, gooey, savory grilled beef blended effortlessly with the sweet punch of the pear and the slightly crisp, refreshing apple!  It was really good!  Even the ketchup and mustard were well complimented somehow.  It was easy to take another bite with my jaw on the floor.

The Boyo wolfed his down and half of another, and even the Sweet Pea ate her burger and fruit, albeit separately.  A very successful first sandwich from the Boyo!  When asked what gave him the idea for topping it with fruit, he answered,

I really wanted a cheeseburger, but I wanted to make it healthy, too.  And a pear and an apple are healthy!

I would highly recommend grilling all of the apple and pear slices as the leftovers make a yummy dessert topped with a scoop of natural vanilla ice cream.

1 comment: